Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Animoto - Identifying Body Parts


Using Animoto was extremely easy, kid friendly, and best of all a great new way for students to show what they have learned. I was very impressed that they had many different styles. They have a ton of music to choose from for any style of presentation. I would definitely see myself using this in my future classroom for presentations or classroom projects. I didn’t really think that it was in a story format because you were limited to how long it was according to the song you chose. It also only allowed you to write so much on one slide. I wasn’t happy that the font sizes were different depending on which line you wrote in because I have OCD and I like things to be equal. Although I thought that Animoto had some downfalls, I really enjoyed making it because it was so easy. I could see students using it for many different subject matters.

I chose to do my animoto on a lesson plan for young children with special needs that are learning to identify body parts. I also threw my own twist on it and added animals because most kids enjoy learning about animals and like real photos instead of animated ones. As I was putting everything together I tried different way and styles that I wanted to present it. I decided to go with a more straight forward approach. Giving the topic at hand such as eyes and telling them the functions of your eyes. I gave a picture or two of each topic and then a vivid picture of the animals part as well with reasoning on what they use them for. I think that a child with special needs would enjoy looking at each picture because they are clear, bright and not a lot going on in the background. It would work great with a nonverbal student and an aide reading each page to them. They then could speak about what they saw and have the student point out their own eyes, ears, nose and mouth. You could attach this with the song “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” for a preschool or kindergarten classroom as well.

Original Author: Samantha Fecich, Greensburg, PA

Grade Level: K through 3

Objective: Students will be able to learn about body parts using the interactive whiteboard and identify the body parts as requested by the teacher.

Materials: SMARTboard interactive whiteboard, speakers, laptop

Procedure: The teacher will introduce the lesson by playing this video from you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e54m6XOpRgU After the video the teacher will navigate to the following websites so students can practice labeling the body parts on the interactive whiteboard. The teacher will use these educational games:

http://tes.iboard.co.uk/player/frameset.htm?id=2398&view=science&name=Label+my+Face - Click the buttons on the face to choose hair style, eyes and lips for the face.

http://www.crickweb.co.uk/ks1science.html - Name the parts of the body by dragging and dropping the label onto the picture. Label words are simply dragged and dropped into the correct place in - scroll down and click on name the body parts.

http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/language-games/label-the-picture/clowns-face - A clown face will certainly make you smile. Label the parts of the clown face in this picture.

http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/make-your-own/make-your-monster - Would you like to make your own monster? Make a monster with this game.

Evaluation: Students will create a character that resembles themselves on this website: http://www.starfall.com/n/level-b/me/load.htm?f all about me game Students will give the character their color skin, eye color, hair color, facial features, and more. Then the students will print their characters to hang in the classroom. 
Materials: Portable, Headsets, Mobile Labs, Projectors, Cause and Effect, Speech and Language, Whiteboards, Autism, Early Learning
Additional Items:

(unfortunately I tried those links that she used but they did not work but I left them in because it was not my lesson plan)



1 comment:

  1. The music was fun and kept my attention throughout the project. Adding the animals was a neat idea. I agree, kids love animals and comparing and contrasting animals to humans is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete